With the growing adoption of cloud technology, most business enterprises are facing the crucial challenge of efficient data management & 100% data accessibility. As the need and role of data protection on any cloud platform continues to increase, it requires a holistic & powerful approach to protect data within Salesforce in order to prevent data loss. By 2022, 70% of organizations would have suffered a business disruption due to unrecoverable data loss in a SaaS application, according to Gartner. So, it is very much important to know how data loss might occur and how to build a strategy to avoid it.
What is Data Loss?
Data loss can happen when data is destroyed, deleted, corrupted, or made unreadable by users and software applications. A data loss incident can be intentional or accidental. Data loss can happen due to multiple reasons.
Common Causes of Data Loss in Salesforce
- Human Error – Types of human errors are as follows-
- Accidental deletion of data files
- Spillage of liquids
- Software Corruption – Any application used for requesting data can crash, resulting in data loss or corruption.
- Computer Viruses – Computer viruses can infiltrate and damage data stored in hard drives and company network systems.
- Hardware impairment – Hardware containing or maintaining data can easily malfunction, leading to irretrievable data loss.
- Natural Disasters – Natural disasters that can lead to data loss include earthquakes, floods, hurricanes, cyclones, etc.
Implications of Data Loss
- Business Functions can be destroyed- Data loss can affect the functionality of a business due to bottlenecks and resource allocation.
- Damaged Business Reputation- Due to customer perception of unreliability and negligence business reputation can be damaged.
- Financial Implications-Data supports the operation of the business, if it is lost it means the company loses its ability to make money and also the ability to operate.
- Effects on Productivity-The productivity of employees is severely affected as data used in day-to-day work is lost.
- Legal Consequences-The loss of customer data carries potential fines from the regulator for not adhering to data protection laws and regulations.
Mitigating Data Loss in Salesforce
To protect Salesforce data from being lost, we can recommend a few simple solutions-
Make your cloud a fortress- Salesforce, as a Cloud service provider, delivers world-class security. Anyone – customer or not – can check Salesforce’s status, security, and compliance on their dedicated Trust site.
Secure Access Through System Administrators– Having a systems administrator gives the protection of a gatekeeper to monitor access and permissions to data.
By creating awareness among employees– You have to give training to all employees on the importance of identifying data security issues. Always set reminders, give time to time training to all the employees.
Safeguards & passwords– Need to give the strong passwords can be further enhanced with two-factor authentication.
The above steps can help you to give data security only if you are careful, but you can never be too careful. There are various ways to minimize the risk of data loss in Salesforce. A Data Loss Prevention strategy can also be put in place as a plan to avoid data loss events.
Backing up data
It is the foremost data prevention strategy that every user should adopt. To avoid risks in your organizations, you need to proactively design a robust backup strategy that ensures your Salesforce data is always protected. Implementing a comprehensive data backup & recovery solution is an ideal way to protect your data. One such solution is DataBakup.
What is DataBakup?
DataBakup is a simple data backup and recovery application that is designed to support Sales Cloud, Service Cloud, and other tailor-made Salesforce solutions. With DataBakup’s full and incremental backup services, enterprises can overcome their data loss challenges. This not only safeguards the data but also ensures that it is highly secured within the cloud infrastructure.
What attracts most customers to DataBakup?
It is the fact that it leverages the enterprise’s own AWS S3 cloud storage to back up the business-critical Salesforce data. The application also ensures that the backed-up data is held securely within your AWS cloud infrastructure. A plethora of features grace this application including scheduled backup, on-demand backup, support for full and incremental backups, multiple object backup, search, restore (full, incremental, single object, custom settings), and much more. To gain more information about the application, download this product datasheet.
- Data loss can happen when data is destroyed, deleted, corrupted, or made unreadable by users and software applications
- Backing up data is the foremost data prevention to minimize the risk of data loss in Salesforce
- To avoid risks in your organizations, you need to be proactive with data backup and recovery solutions like DataBakup that protect your organizations.
DataBakup helps you maintain business continuity and it’s your business’s safety net, ensuring you’re ready for any unexpected problems. To know more about this solution, please contact us or request a demo.